Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Nail Polish May Cause Problems While You're TTC or Pregnant

If You're Trying To Get Pregnant, Watch Out For Toxins In Daily Products

With the holidays upon us, I'm sure many women are flocking to the beauty parlors and nail salons.
See: www.getpregnantover40.com for more information on toxins in the environment and pregnancy/fertility
 I had read (from numerous sources) that nail polish may contain some harmful ingredients. I rarely paint my nails (ok, my toenails every now and then) but when I was pregnant I never used any nail products.  Women who work in salons could be at particular risk.  The component that is harmful is called dibutyl phthalate or DBP - read more from the following article:
"A report by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) said the chemical in question is called dibutyl phthalate or DBP. Phthalates are a class of industrial plasticizers that were invented in the 1930s. They are often used in cosmetics because they make nail polish flexible, help bleed the chemicals of fragrances, and help lotion better penetrate the skin. They aren't always required to be labeled on the products.

Lab animals given dibutyl phthalate had higher numbers of offspring with birth defects, especially of the male reproductive system.
See Also: fertility detoxification (www.getpregnantover40.com)
In September, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released the results of a study that tested 289 adults aged 20-60 for seven metabolites associated with exposure to various phthalates and found it was present in all of those tested, with women of childbearing age having the highest levels.

Jane Houlihan, Senior Analyst at the EWG, said women between the ages of 15-45 are probably exposed to dibutyl phthalate through cosmetics and particularly nail polish.

"We think that women of childbearing are should avoid all exposures to dibutyl phthalate when they're considering becoming pregnant, when they're pregnant or when they're nursing," Houlihan said." 

from:  CNN.com