Fevers in Pregnancy, Are They Dangerous?
I had a couple of pretty severe colds when I was pregnant. To my knowledge, I never ran a fever, but I worried about how being sick may affect my baby. Here is an article about if and when a fever may be harmful in pregnancy:From the article:
Studies of women who had a high fever or went in hot tubs or saunas during pregnancy have found a higher risk for neural tube defects such as spina bifida. This risk occurs mainly when the fever or exposure to high temperatures happened between the fourth and 14th weeks of the pregnancy. Developing a fever after this time, in the second or third trimester, is unlikely to harm your growing baby.
See also: getpregnantover40.com for more on pregnancy and having a healthy pregnancy over 40
Researchers have also linked prolonged high fevers, particularly in the first trimester, to miscarriage, but the results aren't conclusive.
Rest assured that a brief fever is unlikely to do any harm and can be treated with acetaminophen. But if the fever gets really high or lasts a long time, it's best to call your doctor. When flu season rolls around, keep in mind that all pregnant women, regardless of how far along they are, are advised to get a flu shot, which can help prevent flu-related fevers.
from babycenter.com