Pregnancy Over 40, Having An Only Child
Many people who started their families later in life or who struggled with infertility end up having only one child. Sometimes it's a choice, other times another pregnancy is just not possible. I know for me, I'm so happy with one child, I never even considered another. I'm enjoying every moment with my daughter. Here are the benefits and drawbacks of only having one child:Benefits:
- Fewer children is less stress (and less stress makes you a better parent)
- Children are expensive! Having one child allows you to participate in more sports and activities (along with fees, uniforms, travel, etc.)
- Only children have higher achievement levels (and you have more time to help them by reading, tutoring, etc.)
- You have more time to give to an only child...only children rarely feel neglected or ignored (I can speak from experience on this one...I was the youngest of three and I rarely spoke with either of my parents one on one)
__________________
Drawbacks:
- You need to give your child many opportunities to socialize and learn to get along with other children. This means setting up lots of playdates and teaching them how to interact
- Only children can be more sensitive because they spend time with adults who may cater to them (when they get around other kids, they're aren't used to the brutal honesty etc.)
- The child may feel deprived since they don't have siblings like many of their friends. Again, setting up time with other kids and bringing friends along to other activities helps