Difficulty Getting Pregnant Over 40 Doesn't Have To Be A Secret
I fully plan to tell my daughter how long we waited for her and how happy we were when she finally came into the world. Even though she was conceived naturally, I still plan to tell her about our challenges getting pregnant. My hope is that she won't make some of the same mistakes I made and she will grow up with a better attitude toward family and children than I had for most of my adult life.Many couples who conceived through IVF wonder how much they should share with their child/children. Here are my recommendations:
- Assuming you did not use donor eggs, or ICSI, let you child know that the doctors helped the egg and sperm get to each other, but the fertilization was natural.
- Let your child know that you wanted them very much and you wanted to do whatever was necessary to bring them into the world
- Let your child know that approximately half of all pregnancies are unplanned. For them, it was very well planned and you were ready in every way for their arrival.
- I find that whether or not a child was conceived through assisted reproduction, it is important for me to constantly tell my daughter that she's the best thing that ever happened to me. Even though she knows I love her, she just beams when I tell her that. Coming myself from a family with parents who never once said "I love you" or showed affection, I know how important it is to always verbalize these things to your child.
SEE ALSO: SHARING INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR FERTILITY(getpregnantover40.com)