Pregnancy Over 40 - The Importance Of Calcium
I did take a calcium supplement when I was pregnant.I had heard about the importance of getting enough calcium not only because I was over the age of 40, but also because the baby has a tremendous need for their growing skeletal system. Read more:
Calcium is important for both you and your growing baby. Your baby needs it to grow strong, healthy bones, teeth, nerves, heart, and muscles and to develop normal heart rhythm and blood clotting. If you don't get enough calcium in your diet, the fetus will leach it from your bones, which may impair your own health later on.
How much of it do I need?
All adults -- male and female -- need at least 1,000 milligrams of calcium daily, while those over 50 should boost their daily intake to 1,200 mg. Pregnant and nursing women over 18 years old also need 1,200 mg daily. Those under 18 need slightly more, about 1,300 mg a day.Even when you're done with pregnancy and nursing, keep up the calcium -- it can ward off osteoporosis (bone loss) later in life.
How do I get more calcium into my diet?
The best sources of calcium, hands down, are dairy products. But there are surprising amounts of calcium in many tofu products as well as nuts, beans, and some greens. Yogurt supplies one of the best sources, with 415 mg per 8-ounce serving. Milk, ricotta cheese, and some other cheeses, are also excellent sources. You can derive quite a bit of calcium from tofu, canned salmon, and even many greens like turnip greens, broccoli, and kale (learn how to cook greens here (getpregnantover40.com).
excerpted from myonlinewellness.com "Calcium and Pregnancy By Melanie Haiken"