Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Over 40 Mom Nurses Well Into "Toddlerhood"

Pregnancy Over 40, Breastfeeding Toddlers

I wish I was able to nurse longer than I did. My milk dried up at 3 months and prior to that, nursing was a bit painful and difficult for me.
My site: www.getpregnantover40.com for more pregnancy over 40 articles
 However, some women experience the opposite problem...their kids want to nurse well into toddlerhood. The following article talks about the social stigma against this and how one mother dealt with it:

From the article:

I was 23 when I had my first child, and 41 when I gave birth to my last. Fifteen years separate my second and third. While much had changed during the intervening 15 years, one thing most certainly has not—the stigma attached to breastfeeding. More specifically, breastfeeding a child over the age of one...

...For the record, I did make some effort to wean my older daughter close to her third birthday. I made no such attempt, however, with my youngest. She weaned herself of all but bedtime nursing shortly after she turned three, and continued at bedtime for about six months more.

About the time each of my children turned a year old, I began to feel pressure from well-meaning family members to stop nursing. I also learned to brace myself for a debate if the subject of breastfeeding came up in conversation with other mothers. Aside from healthcare providers and a few very close friends, I think just about everyone thought I was crazy to continue breastfeeding a toddler. The bottom line is that it was the right for me, and for my children. Going against the grain isn’t always the easiest thing to do, but when it is something you truly believe in, it suddenly becomes much easier.

from:
www.mamapedia.com